FEMA Funds Jefferson County (Texas) Flood Project

February 8, 2005

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced it has obligated $1.35 million to the state of Texas to fund flood protection measures in Jefferson County. The project will remove 48 repetitively flooded homes from the 100-year floodplain and will protect more than 2,000 homes.

“Texas has experienced flooding in every month of the year, and remains one of the most flood-prone states in the country,” said Michael Brown, under secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response. “The Jefferson County project combines local initiative and resources with FEMA funds to provide long-term flood protection for thousands of families. We encourage all Texas families, businesses and communities to be flood smart.”

The project, known as the Caldwood Cutoff and Hillebrandt Bayou Flood Mitigation Project, includes the construction of two detention basins and a collector channel. The project will also increase flood carrying capacity by widening the Caldwood Cutoff and raising a bridge.

FEMA provides 75 percent of eligible project costs and the remaining 25 percent comes from local resources. The Jefferson County Drainage District No. 6 is the project sponsor.

The federal funds are made available under the Flood Mitigation Assistance program. The state of Texas administers the program that reduces flood risks for insurable properties. Funds for the Flood Mitigation Assistance program come from the National Flood Insurance Fund.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.