More Than 6,300 Stoves Recalled Following Plumber’s Electrocution Death

May 24, 2017

The federal Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced the voluntary recall of 6,300 electric stoves in connection with the electrocution death of a plumber last year.

The recall is for Blomberg and Summit electric ranges, which the commission says can become energized, posing electric shock and electrocution hazards. The recall notice states a screw wasn’t installed to secure the grounding strap during manufacturing.

The announcement references the Aug. 2016, death of a 52-year-old New Hampshire plumber who was electrocuted while installing a dishwasher.

The stoves are described as Blomberg BERU 24200 SS, BERU 24100 SS and Summit CLRE24 24-inch wide freestanding glass top electric ranges that were sold in stainless steel and black.

Photo: CPSC

The ranges were sold by AJ Madison, State Street Discount and other stores nationwide and online at from October 2012 through March 2017 for between $1,000 and $1,500.

The rangers were manufactured by Arçelik A.S. of Turkey. They were imported by Beko of Bolingbrook, Ill.

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ranges, and avoid all direct contact with the product until the electricity supply is shut off. Consumers should contact Arçelik A.S. to schedule a free on-site inspection and repair.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.