A plaintiff in a pending disability lawsuit being caught on video knocking over a large, historic boulder tops the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform’s (ILR) survey of the Top Ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2014.
ILR also released a highlight video running down each lawsuit on the list.
“This list puts a light-hearted face on a serious problem: that as a country, we simply sue too much,” said ILR President Lisa A. Rickard. “In fact, the collective toll that abusive lawsuits take on our society and our economy is no laughing matter. Lawsuits should be a last resort, not a first option.”
ILR announced the Top Ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2014, the year’s ten most popular stories featured in monthly polls on FacesOfLawsuitAbuse.org. The Faces of Lawsuit Abuse campaign is ILR’s public awareness effort created to highlight absurd and ridiculous lawsuits filed against businesses, families and communities across America.
The Top Ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2014 are:
1. Plaintiff in Pending Disability Lawsuit Topples Huge, Historic Boulder (Utah)
2. Little League Coach Sues Player Over Celebratory Helmet Toss (Calif.)
3. NY Man Sues for More Money Than Exists on Planet Earth (New York)
4. Rescuers Sued By Man They Pulled From Floodwaters (Colo.)
5. CA Town Victimized by Plaintiffs’ Attorney Who Has Filed More Than 3,000 Lawsuits (Calif.)
6. NYC Woman Spooked by “Dexter” Ad Sues MTA, Showtime for Subway Fall (New York)
7. Baseball Fan Caught Sleeping on Camera, Sues ESPN for $10 million (New York)
8. Minimum Wage for Court-Ordered Community Service? (New York)
9. Jimmy John’s Lawsuit “Sprouts” Hefty Payday for Lawyers – Vouchers for Victims (Calif.)
10. Woman Sues Disney for $250M, Claims “Frozen” Stolen From Her Life’s Story (New Jersey)
The complete results of the poll can be found at http://facesoflawsuitabuse.org/polls-archive.
Source: U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.