Disaster Assistance Set for Primary Homes Only

March 9, 2005

The American Samoa Government (ASG) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) want to remind those individuals whose homes were damaged or destroyed by Cyclone Olaf that only their primary residence, the one they actually live in, is eligible for disaster assistance. Those citizens who have a house in either Manu’a or Tutuila and having a second home in Manu’a can not register for assistance for the second home.

In addition, only U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals or qualified aliens are eligible for federal assistance. If not one of these categories, but one’s child is, bring proof of custodial relationship. Example: custodial papers or income tax return confirming the custodial relationship one has with the child they are applying on behalf of. A child that qualifies under the law, but does not reside with one at the disaster dwelling will not be qualified for disaster assistance.

Applicants must file an in insurance claim if the home was insured. One person only, either the owner and/or the head of household and living in the dwelling, can apply on behalf of everyone living in the dwelling.

The representative for each household must bring a valid government picture I.D, such as a driver’s license, passport or medical card, an American Samoa Power Authority (ASPA) bill and/or meter number and proof of the total annual income of the entire household, as evidenced by pay slips and/or a tax return. The family representative will be asked to identify their damaged dwelling on a map.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.