No Dismissal in Kansas Girl’s Electric Shock Death

November 24, 2014

The family of a Salina, Kansas, girl who was fatally shocked may press ahead with a $10.5 million lawsuit.

The Salina Journal reports that a Judge Bill Elliott on Friday rejected the city of Salina’s motion to dismiss the suit. But he also stressed that Kansas law provides broad protection to municipalities.

The family of Jayden Hicks alleges that the city was aware of wiring problems.

Jayden was 11 in May 2013 when she came into contact with the metal cover of an in-ground electrical junction box while playing in the rain with friends near a downtown plaza. The box had been installed without a grounding wire and contained damaged wires. Jayden underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation before she died in December.

A Jan. 18 trial is scheduled.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.