The American Red Cross says recovery efforts are continuing in parts of Illinois hit by deadly tornadoes a year ago.
The not-for-profit relief group said Tuesday there are still nearly 500 active cases being addressed in the affected communities one year after the tornadoes. The Red Cross reports that some residents have ongoing mental health issues, homes in need of repair or soil contamination.
The storms on Nov. 17 of last year damaged or destroyed hundreds of homes in central Illinois. Neighborhoods were flattened in towns such as Washington and Gifford. More than half a dozen people died as a result.
Officials say nearly 90 percent of the money donated to the Red Cross for the disaster has been spent or committed to be spent in coming recovery projects.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Worst Start to Wildfire Season Raises Alarm as El Niño Threatens
OpenAI Floats Idea of Global AI Governance Body With US, China
Odey Settles Sexual Assault Cases Ahead of London Trial
Half of Pilots Killed in US Accidents Tested Positive for Drugs