Minnehaha County and the Tennessee-based company that runs its detoxification center have scheduled mediation to try to resolve a wrongful death lawsuit brought by survivors of a woman who died in the South Dakota’s center’s care.
An autopsy determined that Charleen Karr died from ingesting rubbing alcohol. She was brought to the center following a suicide attempt in November 2012.
Her family sued the county and Correct Care Solutions Inc. last year, alleging that the center and its employees were negligent.
At the time of Karr’s death, the detox center was on probation with state regulators. The state lifted its probation last April.
The Argus Leader reports that Karr’s family has signed a mediation agreement in the case that states all of the negotiations in March will be confidential.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.