Bus Driver Told Patrol He Passed Out Before Ohio Crash

By DAN SEWELL | September 28, 2013

The driver of a Greyhound bus that ran off an interstate and flipped over told investigators he didn’t remember anything from the last mile before the crash that injured at least 35 people, an investigative report released Thursday shows.

The State Highway Patrol says 64-year-old Dwayne Garrett told police at the scene of the Sept. 14 accident in southwest Ohio that he had been drinking coffee, started coughing, then lost consciousness. He was trapped inside the bus and investigators said he had to be freed by mechanical means.

“This statement is consistent with several passenger accounts stating they saw the driver slumped over the wheel,” the patrol report says. “The driver stated he doesn’t remember anything for approximately one mile before the bus ran off the road. When he regained consciousness, the bus was on its side.”

Garrett was cited for operating a vehicle without reasonable control, a misdemeanor. He declined comment Thursday. A message for comment was left with Greyhound.

Highway Patrol spokeswoman Lt. Anne Ralston said toxicology and other lab results and other information still being investigated will be added to the report when available.

The bus was carrying 51 passengers from Cincinnati to Detroit when it ran off Interstate 75 near Monroe, some 25 miles north of Cincinnati, before 4 a.m. There were no life-threatening injuries, but the report described possible internal injuries, broken bones and concussions.

Statements from passengers on the bus describe a chaotic and terrifying scene, with one saying he was asleep when he awoke to “screaming and yelling,” and another saying he came to after the crash and saw “bodies everywhere.”

Passengers with less-serious injuries described helping others, including a woman whose arm was broken so badly that bone was sticking out.

One passenger, identified as 62-year-old Ruthie Allen of West Bloomfield, Mich., said she saw the crash coming when she noticed the bus veering to the right on the highway.

“I thought the driver was just changing lanes (but) the bus continued to move to the right, driving over the rumble strips, and kept going off the right side of the road,” she said. “He did not brake at all. Before we went completely off of the interstate, I started yelling at the driver, but he did not respond to me.”

Anthony Poe, 30, of Highland Park, Mich., said he had just fallen asleep when the bus went off the road.

“We flipped several times. I am banged up, but there are horrible injuries,” he said. “I was airborne for the duration of the crash. I have no clue how I made it.”

The report said many passengers gave false identifying information to first responders. In some cases, names didn’t match because tickets had been purchased by other people.

The report also said owners of the cornfield where the bus crashed and overturned after hitting a tree estimated damage at $300. A damaged fence is owned by the state.

(Amanda Lee Myers in Cincinnati contributed to this report.)

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.