Fire officials say sparks from a grinder ignited a fire that destroyed a building near the town square in downtown Centerville, Iowa.
The Tuesday afternoon fire gutted a building that was home to a shop called The Gypsy Quarter.
Fire officials blamed the blaze on a contractor who was doing metal work on the roof. Sparks from a grinder ignited the fire, which took firefighters three hours to bring under control.
Several adjoining buildings were damaged by smoke and water.
Centerville firefighters were helped by departments from eight communities in southern Iowa and northern Missouri.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.