Family Sues Chicago Company Over Acid Death

September 24, 2012

A lawsuit claims a worker at a Chicago-area factory died after being sprayed with a chemical solution and that the company failed to get him medical attention.

Relatives of Carlos Centeno Sr. filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Cook County Circuit Court.

According to the filing, citric acid exploded from a tank that Centeno was cleaning last November at Raani Corp., which makes household products. The factory is in Bedford Park.

The Chicago Tribune reports he suffered burns over 80 percent of his body and died three weeks later.

Lawyer Stephan Blandin says company managers failed to call 911 or send him to a hospital.

Blandin says a co-worker took him to a clinic more than 30 minutes after the injury.

Raani did not respond to a request for comment.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.