Survivors of four people who died in a western Kansas house fire have sued the owner of the rental home and a home health care agency.
The March 10 fire in Scott City killed Jackie Coberly, who was quadriplegic; her 4-year-old son, Brandon Carter; and two girls who were also in the home.
The families filed suit Wednesday in state court, seeking damages for wrongful death. They claim Windsor Place At-Home Care failed to provide health care services because its provider was not present when the fire started.
They also contend the rental house lacked smoke detectors.
Windsor Place says Coberly had chosen “self-directed care” in which she hired and managed her own caregivers. The agency was only responsible for administrative tasks, such as filing the payroll paperwork and taxes.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.