Authorities suspect arson in a fire in an apartment building in Council Bluffs, Iowa, where several people had to be rescued from the roof.
No injuries were reported in the fire that broke out around 1:30 a.m. on March 22 in the house converted into apartments.
When emergency crews arrived, smoke was coming from the second story.
Assistant Fire Chief Larry Wohlers says the fire started in a stairwell, and it blocked residents from getting out of the building.
Some tenants climbed out windows and used a fire escape on the roof to climb down to safety. Ladder crews rescued others still on the roof.
Wohlers says damage is limited to the carpet in the stairwell, but the burning carpet caused heavy smoke throughout the building.
Information from: The Daily Nonpareil,
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.