Flood-displaced Iowa residents staying in mobile homes provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will be charged rent after November, a FEMA spokeswoman said.
Crystal Payton, a FEMA spokeswoman in Des Moines, says that such rental charges are standard practice if it’s deemed necessary to extend a program.
Payton said FEMA tenants will be charged the fair-market rate set by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. In the Cedar Rapids market, that’s $649 for a two-bedroom unit, $920 for three bedrooms.
Displaced residents who had been staying rent-free faced a Nov. 27 deadline to be out of FEMA-provided housing. First District Congressman Dave Loebasck announced that FEMA would extend the deadline to next June, but didn’t mention the new rental charges.
Information from: The Gazette, www.gazetteonline.com/
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
‘Big Tobacco’ Moment for Cannabis: What Insurers Need to Know About Murray v. Cresco
NTSB Says UPS Didn’t Act After 2011 Boeing Letter on Defect
Meta Settles School Suit Over Social Media, Averting First Trial
Snap, YouTube Settle School-Social Media Suit Ahead of Trial