Heat Gun Used to Remove Paint Sparks Museum Fire in Wausau

January 18, 2008

Fire investigators say a heat gun used to remove paint from a wall sparked the fire that damaged the upper floors of a Wausau, Wis. museum.
The blaze broke out on the third floor of the Yawkey House Museum near downtown Wausau cuasing about $100,000 in damage. The roof and attic suffered the most damage.

The museum was in the midst of a $3 million restoration.

Authorities say workers were stripping paint from the walls when they noticed a small fire inside a crack in the wall. They put out that fire, took a break and when they returned 30 minutes later the room was filling with smoke.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.