Iowa Appeals Court Upholds Dismissal in Electrical Fire Lawsuit

November 8, 2007

A federal appeals court has upheld the dismissal of a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturers of a lamp and an extension cord.

The suit came after a fire caused nearly $90,000 damage to a Des Moines home in 2004.

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Tuesday that the district court correctly dismissed the case against General Electric Co. and Frank Fletcher Cos.

The companies were sued by homeowner Brooke Miller and her insurance company, Depositors Insurance Co.

The lawsuit claimed the fire was caused by either the GE extension cord or the Frank Fletcher lamp.

The court said since the alleged fault wasn’t focused on one product, the case was properly dismissed.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.