Six More N.D. Counties Receive Disaster Assistance for Spring Flooding

June 14, 2004

Gov. John Hoeven and officials of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that disaster assistance is now available to six additional North Dakota counties in response to flooding and severe storms beginning March 26, 2004, and continuing. Hoeven requested that the agency append the additional counties to a presidential disaster declaration the governor requested and received earlier this spring.

“This action will make about $2.5 million available to rural electric cooperatives serving the six counties that have been added,” Hoeven said. “In addition, other public infrastructure – including roads, streets and other public utilities – will be eligible for repair based on the impact of the storms. Our hard hit rural communities can now continue their recovery efforts with greater confidence.”

The designation means that local jurisdictions and certain private, non-profit agencies in Bottineau, Burke, Mountrail, Renville, Towner, and Ward counties are eligible for federal public assistance.

The addition of these six counties brings the total to 16 counties and one reservation designated to receive federal assistance under the major disaster declaration signed by President Bush May 5, 2004, following a request by Gov. Hoeven. Counties previously declared include Benson, Cavalier, Grand Forks, Griggs, Nelson, Pembina, Ramsey, Steele, Traill and Walsh, and the Spirit Lake Indian Reservation.

Public assistance reimburses state, local and tribal governments for part of the cost to repair or restore publicly-owned infrastructure, and for emergency protective measures needed to respond to the event. Public assistance operates on a cost-share basis with 75 percent federal share and the remaining 25 percent as the state and local share.

“Our team worked hard to expedite approval of this much needed assistance for our rural communities, and we’re pleased that FEMA officials have worked closely with us,” Hoeven added.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.