Chinese authorities have raised Beijing storm’s death toll to 77 from 37 after the public questioned the days-old tally. Some residents even compiled their own totals in a reflection of deep mistrust of the government’s handling of the disaster.
The Beijing city government said 77 bodies had been found in the city as of Thursday. The government says 66 have been identified and five of them are local officials who died while helping disaster relief and rescue efforts.
Previously, no new death toll figures had been issued since Sunday, the day after Beijing’s biggest downpour in 61 years overwhelmed drainage systems, swamped downtown underpasses and sent flash floods roiling through the city’s outskirts.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Half of Pilots Killed in US Accidents Tested Positive for Drugs
34,000 PG&E Customers Without Power on California Fire Risk
Ransom Attacks up, but Payments Headed Down as Cyber Becomes Top of Mind
Snap, YouTube Settle School-Social Media Suit Ahead of Trial