State media say a moderate earthquake in a mountainous part of southwestern China has killed one person and injured 10 others.
The official Xinhua News Agency says the magnitude-5.7 quake struck Sunday afternoon and was centered near the border of Yunnan and Sichuan provinces. It says the casualties occurred in Yunnan’s Ninglang county but gave no details.
The U.S. Geological Survey measured the quake at magnitude 5.5.
A magnitude-5.8 quake in Yunnan in March last year killed 25 people and damaged thousands of homes. The area is about 2,340 kilometers (1,450 miles) southwest of Beijing.
China’s worst earthquake in recent years struck Sichuan province in May 2008 and registered magnitude 7.9. It left nearly 90,000 people dead or missing.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
‘Big Tobacco’ Moment for Cannabis: What Insurers Need to Know About Murray v. Cresco
Sabotage Threats Have Put Europe’s Power Networks on Alert
Odey Settles Sexual Assault Cases Ahead of London Trial
34,000 PG&E Customers Without Power on California Fire Risk