A Berlin court has convicted a man of arson for setting alight 80 cars in the German capital last year and sentenced him to seven years in prison.
A series of car torchings last summer drew national attention in the run-up to regional elections in Berlin. Although there have been regular arson attacks on luxury cars in Berlin and Hamburg over recent years, last year’s spate was unusually intense.
The Berlin state court said in a statement that the 28-year-old suspect was convicted Tuesday of one count of aggravated arson, another 79 of arson and six of attempted arson. In keeping with German privacy rules, it didn’t identify him.
The court says he set the fires “out of frustration at an unsatisfactory life situation.” It says the defendant and prosecutors decided not to appeal.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Hail to High Variance: Rethinking Test Squares and Roof Damage Assessment
Ransom Attacks up, but Payments Headed Down as Cyber Becomes Top of Mind
New York Homes Most Exposed to Hurricane Risk, Beating Miami
Verisk Report Shows Drop in US Reconstruction Costs in 2Q