Christmas is almost here again, bringing with it all the usual parties, presents, food and drink. But according to data supplied by London-based John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance, the number of home insurance claims increases during the festive period.
From smashed TVs to stressed-out pets, it’s worth considering that the excesses of Christmas can play havoc with more than just your waistline.
Some of the most common claims at Christmas include:
- Party damage to carpets, furniture and soft furnishings due to wine spillages.
- Enthusiastic game-playing causing damage to TVs. For example a Wii remote control going straight through the TV.
- House fires and damage to furniture caused by house fires.
- Chimney fires can be caused when the chimney hasn’t been swept or used frequently.
- Theft of Christmas presents from unattended homes or due to intercepted postal deliveries.
- Pet fouling, scratching and damage due to unusual food consumption and being locked up and over-excited.
- Water damage to unoccupied homes because of extreme weather conditions, like burst pipes.
Source: John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.