The owner of an apartment building where six people died in a fire faces legal action by Portland officials for safety code violations at another building he owns.
Gregory Nisbet failed to bring his Dartmouth Street property up to code by a Monday deadline, city spokesman Jessica Grondin said. Ten violations included electrical problems, the use of extension cords as permanent wiring, and improper storage of combustible materials, according to city records.
The city intends to file a civil suit against Nisbet in district court by Thursday, Grondin said. A city attorney has informed Nisbet that the city of Portland would seek “injunctive relief, civil penalties and attorneys’ fees” if he did not correct the violations, according to records.
Nisbet owned a nearby property, on Noyes Street, that burned in November. It was Maine’s deadliest fire in 40 years. That fire was ruled an accident caused by improper disposal of smoking materials. City officials have said the district attorney’s office will consider whether the building met all regulations.
Nisbet did not respond to a phone call seeking comment. His attorney has said problems at the Dartmouth Street house were caused by tenants who have since been evicted.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.