Through September 2014, there have been 1,267 deer collisions on the Thruway this year.
The Thruway Authority offers a number of safety tips for motorists:
- Be especially aware of deer from October through December and May through June.
- Deer are most active at dawn and dusk.
- If one deer crosses the road, watch for others as they often stay in groups.
- If a collision is unavoidable, hold the steering wheel and don’t swerve.
- Always buckle your seatbelt. Ejection from a vehicle is the main reason for fatalities.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.