Prosecutors say a , N.Y., landlord has pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide in connection with a 2010 fire that killed five people.
The Brooklyn district attorney’s office said Monday that landlord Vasilios Gerazounis will be sentenced to one to three years in prison in February. It said he pleaded guilty last month.
The New York Times says Gerazounis’ real estate company will pay $1 million restitution to the family of a girl who was dropped from a third-floor window and landed on her head, fracturing her skull.
Prosecutors charged that the tenants couldn’t escape the fire because of illegal partitions that blocked their way out of the building.
Daniel Ignacio, a guest of one of the tenants, was convicted of setting the fire.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
‘Big Tobacco’ Moment for Cannabis: What Insurers Need to Know About Murray v. Cresco
Lake Tahoe Power Crunch Shows AI’s Growing Energy Toll in West
Groups Seek FTC Probe into Roblox for Kid Spending
Verisk, insured.io, Omni and TruVideo Rolling out New Tech