Documents from federal investigators show managers at Metro-North Railroad questioned the experience of a trainee who reopened a track without proper approval shortly before a track foreman was killed in Connecticut last year.
The Journal News reports Stephen Neville, deputy chief of train operations, told the National Transportation Safety Board that after three months on the job, the trainee received “unacceptable,” “barely acceptable” and “fair” in an evaluation. He said scored “good” in some categories.
He said two rail traffic controllers didn’t believe the trainee would succeed and with more time might handle slower areas.
Track foreman Robert Luden was killed May 28, 2013, in West Haven. The rail traffic controller and his supervisor were suspended.
Metro-North spokesman Aaron Donovan said the trainee was not hired and his supervisor assigned to a desk job.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
34,000 PG&E Customers Without Power on California Fire Risk
JPMorgan Banker Sues Ex-Colleague Over ‘Fabricated’ Sex Claims
Verisk Report Shows Drop in US Reconstruction Costs in 2Q
Iran Starts Bitcoin-Backed Ship Insurance for Hormuz Strait