Anne Arundel County fire officials say a mechanical malfunction involving pool chemicals at a YMCA camp sickened 35 people.
Emergency responders were called to Camp Letts in Edgewater, Md., shortly before 10 a.m. Wednesday in response to reports of several children suffering from nauseau and vomiting. Officials say four adults and 31 campers aged 6 to 16 were taken to area hospitals for treatment.
A fire department spokesman said the cause appears to be a malfunction that allowed excessive amounts of a chemical, either muriatic acid or sodium hypochlorite, into the pool. Officials say the problem was recognized by camp staff, who quickly got children out of the pool and into showers.
None of the injuries was considered life threatening.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.