Bathhouse Fire Started With Improperly Stored Painting Materials

May 23, 2014

Rhode Island fire officials say a blaze that destroyed a building that housed bathrooms and showers at Newport’s Easton’s Beach began in improperly stored painting materials.

The Newport Daily News reports investigators determined the chemicals in a second-floor storage room spontaneously combusted on Monday afternoon.

The fire was brought under control within about an hour. But fire officials say the flames pushed through the building with help from heavy winds.

No injuries were reported.

The beach is still scheduled to open for the season Saturday, with portable toilets for bathers.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.