Pipe Thawing Causes New Hampshire Apartment Building Fire

January 6, 2014

Officials say a landlord using a propane torch to thaw frozen pipes in the subzero temperatures sparked a fire that damaged an apartment building in the New Hampshire town of Derry.

Officials say the occupants were out of the house when firefighters arrived Saturday morning. A woman with a history of respiratory problems was treated and taken to Parkland Medical Center.

Fire crews were able to quickly knock down the fire and dismantled several exterior and interior walls to keep it from spreading.

Since the piping and electrical system have been damaged, the two apartments cannot be lived in.

American Red Cross is helping the five adults find temporary housing.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.