Maryland Mall Fire Blamed on Grease Buildup in Ductwork

December 31, 2013

A fire at a Maryland restaurant at the Westfield Wheaton mall is being blamed on a buildup of grease and other substances in ductwork over the cooking area.

The Montgomery County mall was evacuated on Saturday after the fire at the Crisp & Juicy Peruvian rotisserie chicken restaurant.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue assistant chief Scott Graham tells radio station WTOP-FM that the fire did about $180,000 in damage and that a firefighter suffered minor injuries battling the blaze.

The fire began around 11:15 a.m. Saturday. The mall reopened shortly after 2:30 p.m.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.