Human Error Blamed in Pennsylvania Gas Explosion

December 30, 2013

Fire officials are blaming human error for a gas explosion and three-alarm fire at a central Pennsylvania apartment building that has left 22 people homeless.

The blast happened Friday morning in Ephrata, Lancaster County.

Lincoln Fire Chief Randy Gockley said a maintenance man working on a furnace capped the wrong end of a gas line, causing natural gas to build up. When the worker lit the pilot light on the furnace, it ignited an explosion.

Officials estimate the blaze caused $300,000 in damage to the building and $200,000 in personal property losses.

There were no injuries in the blaze, although a firefighter collapsed at the scene and was treated at a hospital.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.