Officials say downed wires may have sparked a fire that ruptured a gas line and knocked out power to hundreds of residents in a New York City suburb.
The series of events began when a power line fell on a car around 1 a.m. Tuesday in Mamaroneck.
Officials say when firefighters arrived, the car burst into flames that spread to two other vehicles.
WCBS-TV reports that while putting out the flames, firefighters discovered a natural gas line had ruptured. That caused another fire.
Firefighters were letting the natural gas fire burn to prevent a possible explosion.
About 500 residents in the Westchester County community were without power. Con Edison was at the scene.
There were no injuries.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.