Maryland Car Wash Cashier Burned When Dress Catches Fire

May 29, 2013

Co-workers say a car wash cashier was severely burned when her dress was ignited by an electrical heater.

It happened Saturday at Soft-Touch Car Wash in Salisbury. Cashier Jennifer Camper tells the Daily Times of Salisbury that Karen Jenkins’ dress touched a heat coil and caught fire.

Camper says Jenkins ran in a panic and a co-worker knocked her down and smothered the fire. Another co-worker sprayed Jenkins with a hose.

Jenkins was in critical but stable condition at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore.

Salisbury Assistant Fire Chief Tim Gladwell says running fuels and open flame and makes it spread faster. He said the school-age lesson of “stop, drop and roll” should be practiced if one’s clothing catches fire.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.