Vermont Investigators Say 2 Fires Caused by Hot Ashes

April 30, 2013

Vermont fire investigators say Lyndonville fire that destroyed a farmhouse and a nearby garage started because a pail of hot fireplace ashes was left too close to the house.

The Jewell Hill Road house and adjacent garage with an upstairs apartment were destroyed by the Wednesday afternoon fire.

Police say homeowner Bryan Smith suffered minor burns trying to extinguish the fire.

The buildings are considered a total loss. Damage was estimated at almost $270,000.

Lyndonville Fire Chief Greg Hopkins tells the Caledonian Record windy conditions and lack of water made fighting the fire difficult. Sparks helped ignite a grass fire a quarter-mile away.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.