The state Fire Marshal’s office says an explosion at a Fitchburg, Mass., auto parts store was caused by a natural gas leak in a pipeline, and has ruled it an accident.
The office released its finding into Tuesday’s explosion on Wednesday.
The explosion at Victory Auto Parts at about 5:20 p.m. caused extensive damage to the building, but left the owner and a customer inside at the time were unharmed.
Building Commissioner Robert Lanciani called the building a total loss. Several other buildings in the area were damaged.
Owner John Tate says there was no warning, just a “big bang.”
He says his building does not have gas service.
The state Department of Public Utilities is conducting its own investigation.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.