French Fries Spark Maine Apartment Blaze

October 10, 2012

Fire investigators say a woman making a late night snack of french fries sparked a fire in a Pittsfield, Maine, apartment building that left 12 people homeless.

The fire late Saturday night into Sunday morning started when a woman in a third-floor apartment left the kitchen briefly and the grease caught fire.

Everyone, including the building’s owner, made it out of the six-unit home safely, although one firefighter suffered a minor injury.

Firefighters from Pittsfield, Newport, Skowhegan, Burnham and St. Albans responded to the scene. Crews battled hotspots until about 6:30 a.m. Sunday.

Fire Chief Bernard Williams says the third floor is a total loss but the lower floors may be salvageable. He says the building’s owner did not have insurance.

The Red Cross is helping the displaced residents.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.