Bad Stove Connection Caused Connecticut Fire

April 13, 2012

Officials say a bad wood stove connection caused a fire in Canterbury, Conn., that destroyed a three-story home built in the 1700s.

Tuesday morning’s fire leveled the home on North Canterbury Road and drew responses from five fire departments. No one was injured.

Local Fire Marshal Paul Yellen told The Bulletin of Norwich that a joint investigation with the state fire marshal office found a defective connection between a wood stove pipe and a chimney.

Officials say four people were living in the house. The American Red Cross offered them help with housing and other needs.

The fire was reported shortly before 5:30 a.m. Local firefighters had problems getting water to the scene and were helped by departments in neighboring towns.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.