A northwestern Pennsylvania company has agreed to pay $50,000 to settle alleged child labor violations that resulted when an underage worker cut off his fingers.
Dave Nisley, a part-owner of J.N. Pallet Co. in Conneautville, declined immediate comment Tuesday on the penalties announced by the U.S. Department of Labor.
An administrative law judge signed off on the settlement late last month.
The Labor Department didn’t immediately say in a news release when the violation occurred, but says the penalties stem from an incident in which a worker younger than 18 was illegally allowed to operate a power-driven woodworking machine. The teen lost several fingers in the accident.
The company about 90 miles north of Pittsburgh makes wooden shipping pallets and skids.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
‘Guac Signal’ Sparked Chipotle’s Frantic Bid to Recall Jalapeños
Lala Leaves One Dead in Hawaii With Heavy Rain, Wind to Come
‘Chronic’ Heat Risk in Europe Draws Warning From Swiss Re
Tornado Alley’s on the Move and Creating New Risk Concerns, Modeler Says