New York City school bus drivers say that Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s warning that they might strike any day was a false alarm.
The drivers’ union issued a letter to parents Tuesday saying drivers wouldn’t strike during the holiday season.
Union members rallied Tuesday at City Hall. They say they want the mayor to put student safety ahead of budget cuts.
The city informed the union last month that it would seek bids for a new school bus contract for special education pre-kindergarten and pre-school students.
At the time, Bloomberg said union representatives had told the city they would institute a systemwide strike unless the city committed to job protections for current drivers.
The union says the city is looking for the cheapest contract. The drivers’ current contract expires in June.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
New York Homes Most Exposed to Hurricane Risk, Beating Miami
AAA Forecasts Record Memorial Day Drivers Despite High Gas Prices
‘Big Tobacco’ Moment for Cannabis: What Insurers Need to Know About Murray v. Cresco
Ransom Attacks up, but Payments Headed Down as Cyber Becomes Top of Mind