State highway officials have announced that 330 people have been cited for violating the state’s hands-free cell phone law during a one-day sweep last week.
Authorities said on Tuesday that the April 21 crackdown was part of National Distracted Driving Awareness Month. The law went into effect on Jan. 2. Police say since that time, more than 2,500 drivers have been cited and there have been 30 crashes this year involving cell phones as a distraction.
Alison Kirk, a spokeswoman for the state Office of Highway Safety, said distracted driving is a serious safety concern.
First-time offenders of the new law are fined $50. Additional offenses can result in fines of up to $200.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.