Virginia Boy’s Snack Attack Nearly Burns House Down

August 27, 2010

A 7-year-old Virginia boy’s craving for a roasted marshmallow snack turned into a fast-moving fire that nearly destroyed the house.

Fire and rescue units from at least eight Albemarle County departments responded to Tuesday’s blaze near Charlottesville.

No one was injured in the blaze, which started in the pantry and quickly spread through the kitchen and into the house’s attic.

Maynard Pritchett says his grandson was trying to toast marshmallows when the fire started. He says his wife tried to use an extinguisher to put out the flames, but it didn’t work.

Albemarle County assistant chief for fire prevention James F. Barber says efforts to control the blaze were hampered by a lack of firefighters, water and traffic congestion on a nearby road.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.