Fire Starts in Maryland House After Power Restored

July 30, 2010

Maryland officials say three firefighters were hurt battling a house fire they say began shortly after electricity was restored to the home.

Prince George’s County Fire/EMS spokesman Mark Brady says the fire was reported shortly after 3 p.m. on Wednesday in Oxon Hill. Brady says the house had been without electrical power since Sunday, when thunderstorms caused hundreds of thousands of area residents to lose electricity.

Brady says a few minutes after power was restored, the residents smelled smoke and called 911.

Two firefighters suffered minor burns and a third suffered from exhaustion. All three were taken to local hospitals.

Brady says the cause of the fire is accidental and appears to be related to the restoration of electrical power.

Damage to the home is estimated at $200,000.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.