Garage Storing Fireworks Explodes in NYC; 1 Burned

June 2, 2010

An explosion has destroyed a garage where fireworks and fuel were being stored at a New York City home, setting off a fire and severely burning one man over 50 percent of his body.

The 31-year-old unidentified man was taken to Jacobi Medical Center’s burn unit in critical condition. There were no other injuries.

Police and a fire official says the cause of Monday night’s explosion at the Murray Street home in the Flushing neighborhood of Queens was under investigation.

But police say a preliminary investigation determined that the victim was storing fireworks and fuel in the garage when it exploded about 7:03 p.m.

A fire that erupted in the debris of the building was brought under control about a half hour later.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.