Massachusetts Fire Officials Warn of Home Oxygen Dangers

January 19, 2010

Recent fire tragedies involving home oxygen units have prompted Massachusetts officials to launch a new public awareness effort.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and members of a task force on home oxygen safety plan to unveil the campaign during an event at Massachusetts General Hospital on Thursday.

The campaign will include public service announcements on radio and TV, and educational guidelines for firefighters and first responders.

Investigators said a home oxygen unit was in the apartment of a 62-year-old Quincy woman who died in a fire that was started by a cigarette on Dec. 26.

A fire in a Whitman home in May that took the life of a 73-year-old woman was blamed on smoking around home oxygen equipment.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.