Fire investigators say a weekend blaze at a Malden apartment building that sent six people to the hospital was caused by an electrical problem.
The fire forced dozens from their homes early Saturday morning and caused an estimated $6 million in damage.
State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said Tuesday the blaze originated in the ceiling of a third-floor apartment.
Police are investigating reports that some residents had property stolen from their apartments after being driven out by the fire.
Three people were treated for minor smoke inhalation and three firefighters were treated for back, shoulder, and ankle injuries.
Coan says working smoke alarms probably saved lives but that damage would have been less severe if the building had been equipped with sprinklers.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Tackling The Growing Threat of Legal System Abuse
CommScope Sued by Lenders for at Least $150 Million Over Alleged Breach
New York Homes Most Exposed to Hurricane Risk, Beating Miami
Trump Set to Sign AI Cybersecurity Directive as Soon as Thursday