Maryland Grocery Store Evacuated after 14 Fall Ill

November 12, 2009

Six people are on their way to the hosptial after a strange smell sickened more than a dozen people at a Maryland grocery store.

Montgomery County fire department officials said the Giant Food store was evacuated Tuesday after 14 people became ill when they smelled what they thought was gasoline throughout the store. The injuries were not considered serious.

It’s not clear how many people sickened are store employees or how many are customers.

Two smaller shops nearby were also evacuated. Firefighters and a hazardous materials team have responded to the scene.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.