East Granby fire officials say an explosion that critically injured a couple last year was caused by a lack of pressure release valves in the home’s hot water heater.
The November explosion caused second- and third-degree burns to homeowners Lori and Ken Sullivan and to contractor Michael Alleana.
Fire Marshal Kenneth Beliveau told The Hartford Courant that there should have been more than one valve to reduce pressure on the hot water heater. He says the Sullivans and Alleana were installing a tankless, “quick-fire” hot water heater when a spark ignited escaping gas, triggering the explosion.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.