Spilled Ashes Cause Fire that Destroys Maine Home

April 16, 2009

A Maine fire investigator has concluded that ashes spilled in front of an outdoor wood boiler were the cause of a wind-driven fire that destroyed a home in Wales.

No injuries were reported as some 50 firefighters battled Monday’s blaze at the two-story log cabin-style dwelling. All that remained of the home were a large fieldstone hearth and two chimneys.

Assistant Fire Chief Tony Siderio said high winds forced flames ignited by ashes from the outdoor boiler to the home, 50 feet away. Laurie Harris, who lived in the home, was away at the time.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to a half-dozen other homes in the Oak Hill Road area.

Information from: Kennebec Journal

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.