Cigarette Blamed for Fire at Maine Apartment Complex

March 24, 2009

Officials are blaming a discarded cigarette for a fire that destroyed two apartments and damaged several others at a military housing complex in Kittery, Maine.

Fire Chief David O’Brien said the Saturday evening fire at the Admiralty Village complex started after a cigarette was discarded on the back deck of an apartment, igniting pine needles and other debris.

O’Brien estimated structural damages at more than $400,000.

The chief said many residents in the complex are Navy personnel who rent the units from the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard while their submarines are being overhauled at the shipyard.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.