Officials say a trash can was placed on a porch and set on fire, starting a blaze that destroyed a duplex home in southeastern Pennsylvania.
Two residents were treated for smoke inhalation at Brandywine Hospital after the fire early Tuesday.
Chester County fire marshals say it’s the latest in a string of arsons plaguing the Coatesville area 35 miles west of Philadelphia, many of them started on porches and steps. Residents are being urged to keep porch lights on at night, and not put trash out until the night before it’s picked up.
Authorities say the city had more than a dozen arson fires during 2008. And despite three arson-related arrests in December, officials report at least five more already in the first week of 2009, with minor damage until the duplex burned.
Information from: Daily Local News
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.