Explosion Sets Fire to Maine Incinerator

November 6, 2008

Firefighters say an explosion at a trash-to-energy incinerator in Biddeford, Maine blew panels off the building and started a fire.

Officials say the explosion at the Maine Energy Recovery Co. plant Tuesday afternoon was likely caused by a propane tank or some other pressurized object going through a trash shredder.

The blast blew two sets of panels off the building and ignited a small fire that was quickly brought under control. One worker suffered minor injuries.

Explosions occur periodically at the plant when propane tanks are mixed in with other waste.


Information from: WMTW-TV

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.