New York Man Charged with Giving Alcohol to Cabin Fire Victim

August 20, 2008

State police are charging a 22-year-old upstate New York man with supplying alcohol to a 17-year-old girl and her friends before she died in a cottage fire.

Trevor Tormey of Erieville faces three misdemeanor counts of unlawfully dealing with a child.

Troopers say Julia Parker, a senior at Cazenovia High School, was partying at the Madison County cottage with several other teen-agers when it caught fire in April. Parker died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The others escaped.

Toxicology tests showed that Parker’s blood alcohol content was 0.18 percent when she died — more than double the 0.08 legal limit for driving while intoxicated.

Investigators said the fire originated in a wood stove and ruled the blaze accidental.

Tormey will be arraigned after he gets a lawyer.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.